Monday 21 January 2013

War of the palettes... Product Battle - Urban Decay Naked Palette vs. Stila in the Light Palette!

A good neutral palette has become a stable in any make up collection!
A trio or quad is no longer sufficient - No, we need palettes with lots of options both matte and metallic.

One the first things I invested in, when I got very interested in make up 1 1/2 year ago, was the Urban Decay Naked Palette, which at that time was the make up item to get!
And I have never regretted it!

Then Stila came with their palettes this year, and the "In the Light" palette quickly became a favourite in the beauty community - So of course I had to have it!


So now I have both, and I was thinking, that it might be helpful to let you know, what I think about the them - and of course which one is my favourite.
Let start with a small introduction of the two palettes.

Urban Decay Naked Palette:


The palette consists of 12 shades, where of 2 a completely matte (Naked and Buck) and 1 look very matte on the eyes (Virgin).
The are mostly warm colours, which I do prefer (which is also the reason, why I haven't brought the Naked 2).
The are all very pigmented and easy to work with a blend, and with this palette you can create a wide variety of looks.
Every shadow are 1,3 g, so all together 15,6 g.
(for comparison a MAC shadow is 1,5 g).
So at 36 Pound at Beautybay.com, I think you get a lot for your money.

Stila In The Light Palette:


This one only have 10 shadows, three are matte (Bare, Bliss and Sandstone), and to me the black one also look almost matte (Ebony).
The rest are metallic or shimmer.
I would say, as with the Naked palette, the are on the warm side.
These shadows are also quit well pigmented (most of them any way), but also very soft (maybe a bit to soft in my opinion).
These shadows are 1,4 g, so altogether 14 g.
So you get a bit more product with the Naked palette.
However this palette is on the other hand 10 pounds cheaper at 25 pounds!
So altogether this palette is a better buy product quantity wise.

Swatches:

Urban Decay Naked Palette
Top row: Virgin, Sin, Naked, Sidecar, Buck and Half Baked.
Bottom row: Smog, Darkhorse, Toasted, Hustle, Creep and Gunmetal.
I love almost every one of them, but my favourites from the palette is Virgin, Naked, Half Baked and Toasted.
My least favourite is by far Creep, which is also the least pigmented.

I reach mostly for the brown shades, but I do also occasionally use the grey Gunmetal.
(Post about this look will be coming soon).

 Stila In The Light Palette
Top Row: Bare, Kitten, Bliss, Sunset and Sandstone.
Bottom Row: Champagne, Gilded Gold, Luster, Night Sky and Ebony.
I do also like most colours in this palette, but find my self using the same ones every time though.
My favourites are Kitten, Bliss and Sunset.
My least favourites are Luster and Ebony (which is the also the least pigmented).
Together with Night Sky (which actually is a more blueish grey, than the one in the Naked palette), I have never used these shadows.

So which one is my favourite and why?

I would go with the Naked palette any day!
So could I only have one, then it would be than one.

Firstly I think the formulation of the shadows is better - I don't really like, that the Stila ones are so soft.

Where I have very clear favourites in the In Stila The Light palette, I love and use almost every colour in the Naked Palette.

Also I like the packing of the Naked Palette better.
Both is cardboard, but the Naked one just seem more sturdy, and the velvet also make it a bit more lux.

So even though the price is higher, I use the Naked Palette much more, so all in all I find, that it's a better investment.

So if you are buying your first palette or are just in doubt about which one to get, I would go for the Naked Palette!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...